Monday, May 5, 2008

4 Months: Genealogy Again

So to get as complete a picture of August's genetic heritage as possible, I've started with my own, and tracked down everything I could. The methodology here is that if I can't trace back to a person who definitely (or nearly definitely) was born in a place outside the US, then that person's contribution to the genetic pie is relegated to "[Unknown]".

So this is me. As you can see, it doesn't help starting out with 50% unknown (my biological father's side is a blank page so far).



I'm still working on this, so the picture should change. Much of the 27% that's still reasonably accessible will probably turn out to be English, after I've tracked them down. Not too many other options, given names and dates and places (eg, Hamiltons in Virginia in the 1770s will likely be English).

To figure out the genealogical puzzle I'm using a number of tools and sources. To calculate the numbers for the pie chart, I'm using Omni Graffle to manually put together a tree that includes only the genetically relevant data. Here's a shrunken-down screen grab of my half of August's tree. Blues are dead-ends with no certain places (the "[Unknowns]"). Yellows come from known places. Lighter yellows are assumptions. Greys are "complete" because their branch has been fully explored above, whether or not there are unknowns up there.


[click to see it a little bigger]

3 comments:

Melissa McCue-McGrath, CPDT-KA said...

All I can say is your dedication is astounding!

Kris said...

how are you compiling this data? through a website? or some other source?

Waldron Faulkner said...

K, pretty much doing it my own way using excel and an outling app I use.