Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Day 67: n-1

My friend Yuri Ivanov may be the smartest person I know. He's a robot scientist and a teacher at MIT, and what's more, he's also wise. Intelligence and wisdom don't always go together, so when Yuri talks, I listen.

Yuri says: "I think the formula for optimal number of babies is n-1. I arrived to it empirically by asking people how many kids they have and how many they would like to have."

Of course he's just kidding (or being humorous, if not actually kidding). His actual addition to the recent Advice thread is: "you can be sure that in the future you will wish your life to be what it is like right now".

I spend a lot of time trying to shape my future, so that's some food for thought. Maybe after the baby I'll spend a lot of time trying to unshape it!

No comments: