Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Day 220: Name Game - A Final List

We have eight weeks left, if we're lucky. It's getting down to the wire, and I feel the need to push us closer to consensus on a name for this kid. We have a working list of every name we've given even the slightest consideration. Since my scientific approach failed (when I tried to apply a fancy spreadsheet to the problem of arriving at a compromise), I thought I might try something more straight-forward this time. Simple ranking.

I took the top dozen names from the "scientific approach" (some of which aren't under serious consideration at this point, but whatever). I ordered them randomly, then asked Mary to rank them from favorite to least favorte. I did the same. My list, in order, is:
  • Emmett
  • Everett
  • Addison
  • Elliot
  • Clement
  • Watson
  • Reik
  • Robert
  • August
  • Emerson
  • Lincoln
  • Waldron
Side note for the uninitiated: the name Reik is pronounced "rake"... at least that's how we're saying it, and it comes from the Scottish ancestors on my mother's side.

Mary's list looks like this:
  • Elliot
  • Reik
  • Addison
  • August
  • Everett
  • Emmett
  • Emerson
  • Waldron
  • Watson
  • Lincoln
  • Clement
  • Robert
So I took the ordinal position of each name, in each list, and averaged them. For example, in my list, Clement is 5th. In Mary's list, it's 11th. The average average 5 and 11 is 8. Clement gets a score of 8. I then ordered the list according to each name's score.
  • Elliot - 2.5
  • Addison - 3
  • Emmett - 3.5
  • Everett - 3.5
  • Reik - 4.5
  • August - 6.5
  • Watson - 7.5
  • Clement - 8
  • Emerson - 8.5
  • Robert - 10
  • Waldron - 10
  • Lincoln - 10.5
If we were to compromise using this method, Elliot would win.

I've redone the poll again. This time for the last time, I promise. The top five names from this methodology are now open for voting, as is the "something else" option. Please do make your one selection. Mary and I will be refraining from voting, to see what people really think. We'll very likely then be ignoring what people really think when we finally reach our decision!

The problem I have with these methods of finding a compromise is that, in the end, I just don't want to compromise. I want to use the name that I like best. I've asked Mary to take some time with the idea of Emmett, to look at it again, ponder it for a few days, try it on for size, in her mind, as the name of our boy. Who knows... maybe it'll grow on her.

So what's your vote?

3 comments:

bernd said...

Why don't you wait until the child is born before deciding on a name? We spent a couple of days with ours to see what he was like, first. We had a short list of names, but couldn't agree on one until after he came out.

Their personalities start emerging on day one -- and you might pick up a vibe from him. Also, you'll never be happy if you choose a name by scientific compromise. Rather, you should wait for inspiration that wins you both over.

Melissa McCue-McGrath, CPDT-KA said...

I was thinking about the "feminine sounding abbreviations" thing you were talking about in an earlier post, specifically for Elliot.

Instead of El or Elly, you could always take a middle syllable- Lee or Leo.

Just a random thought.

Waldron Faulkner said...

Good points, guys. Thanks!