Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Day 199: Another Poll Update

Trying out a few different names in the poll, again... Clement's back in the list. We're also interested to gauge reaction to the name Reik, which we would pronounce as "rake". It's a family name on my side... Scottish, we think. Reik definitely breaks some of the rules I outlined in my original boys' edition of the Name Game post. Specifically, I'd classify it as a "grand-sounding", "trying too hard", "yacht person" name like Rex or Max or Rafe. On the other hand, if he could get through childhood unscathed by the name, it'd be one very unique and (I think) very cool-sounding name to have, starting around age 15 or 16. I don't know if those types of names go stale once the person gets into old age. I could see it getting a bit stale, perhaps, starting maybe in your forties. Maybe younger? Or maybe never. But I do know you could absolutely front a rock band with the name Reik Faulkner.

Having a name that one could never out-grow or become too distinguished for, I don't feel qualified to speculate on what happens to people with super-cool names as they age. And, of course, this all assumes that "Reik" actually would be a super-cool name. Many might dispute the assumption!

Thoughts and votes are hereby solicited.

No comments: