Monday, January 21, 2008

3 Weeks: Routine(ish)

I won't call it a routine (because "routine" implies some sort of intent) but I have noticed something of a pattern to our daily management of this kid.

In the late afternoon we generally have some kind of "event", like a bath, or a walk in the stroller, or a walk with the (highly recommended) Baby Bjorn, or just a lot of "tummy time" with Dad (see image, below).

In the late afternoon/early-evening he usually has a long sleep which can last anywhere from 3 to 5 hours. A long afternoon nap, from which he awakes hungry and alert.

Sometime around 1 or 2 AM, Mary heads to bed while Augs & I hang out together in the living room. Shortly after Mary's disappearance, the child will start to cry for food. That's when I hit the fridge for stores of pre-pumped milk, or whip up a quick batch of formula. If I'm lucky, he falls asleep between 3 and 4 AM, and I can put him down in the Moses while I grab a nap on the couch. Last night he was awake (and upset) until after 4:30 AM.

Sometime in the 6-7 AM hour, Mary wakes up wondering if we're OK and comes out to relieve me. I transfer to the bed and sleep 'til between 10 and noon while Mary tends to the boy and (if possible) naps a bit.

So that's something like our daily pattern, if not "routine".

The fact that he doesn't like to go to sleep before 3 or 4 AM? Mary says he gets that from me. I say the jury is still out on long-term sleep patterns. At least I really hope so.

Floor-time with Augs & Dogz:


No comments: