Monday, February 25, 2008

8 Weeks: ADHD Miracle Cure

Mary passed along an article about a (not very scientific) Norwegian study on the effects of diet-change to correct/cure ADHD in kids with a certain kind of protein deficiency. Note, not all ADHD kids may have the protein deficiency in question, but for those who do, this looks promising. Have to cut out milk and certain grains.

I was a handful when I was a kid, and I remember one doctor (it might have been a therapist, who can remember) prescribed a diet for me. Not the same diet as in the Norwegian study. All I can remember about it was that I had to have special breakfast cereal, and instead of chocolate, I was to have carob. Didn't work for me, but neither did drugs. And carob sucks compared to chocolate. I shouldn't say the diet didn't work, I should say that I didn't stay on the special diet.

Sometimes I wish I could go back and try childhood again, this time arming my parents with modern knowledge and the Internet. Being an informed parent must be so much easier now than it was in my parents' day.

No comments: