Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Day 31

Sitting around the company lunch-table today, I heard the tale of my colleague's Night Without Sleep. He's got two kids: a 1.5 year-old and a 3 year-old. He didn't get to sleep before midnight, then one child had issues from 2 AM to 2:30. Then the other child had issues from 4 AM to 4:30, then again at 5, and that was basically the end of his opportunity for sleep.

A couple of weeks ago my dog was a bit sick to his stomach & I found myself leaping out of bed at 2 and again at 5 in order to walk him (lest he commit "accident" in the house). While I was out on the street, half-dressed, freezing, walking the dog, I thought to myself: people with kids do this kind of thing weekly. Granted, they don't usually have to go out in sub-freezing temperature, but for me it's a once-a-year problem, not a once-a-week problem.

I'm 41 now. There's a reason they say it's easier to raise young children when you're young. Should we have stuck to puppies?

No comments: