Sunday, June 15, 2008

5 Months: Father's Day

It had never occurred to me to think about Father's Day with me in the role of father. Obviously, to me, it's always been about remembering somebody else... not that I was ever terribly diligent as the son in the Father's Day equation. So now that my own father is gone, I expected Father's Day to pass quietly and unrecognized.

Mary has been very cute about recognizing the day, and me as a father. Delicious egg breakfast! But now that I am the father, I finally realize what Father's Day is all about. It's not about fathers getting recognition, it's about teaching children to think about others, to take a moment to think about what their parents mean to them.

So I don't expect anything on Father's Day, but I'm happy to use the day as an excuse to post another father-son picture:

No comments: