Tuesday, April 1, 2008

3 Months: Birthday Boy

On or about this day in 2001, our dog Watson was born. We recognize April Fool's Day as an apt birthday for him, so today he turns seven.



Watson came to me a few months before I met Mary. I thought it was something of a shame that he should live with me, a bachelor, when he would clearly be a perfect family dog—one that can be trusted with the kids, no matter what kind of abuse they might accidentally dish-out.

When we found out we were having August I was happy that Watson would get to fill the role of Family Dog, even if only for a while. He's seven today. If he lives to age 12, which is a fairly long life for a big Lab (Watson's 100lbs), he'll live until August is five. I'm hoping that'll be long enough that our son will be impressed with an image of a big, happy, loving Lab as his "prototypical dog". Our family had a wonderful yellow Lab who served that role for me, and it resulted in a life-long love of dogs in general, and Labs in particular. I think we're richer for having these friends in our lives, and I hope this gentle introduction will set August up for a future of happy canine companionship.

So today it's all about Watson. A couple of pictures are here, and he has his own page, as well.

Hang out on the lawn mode:


Chase ball and swim mode:

No comments: